View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

The varsity game I had Saturday night involved a team that our officials association usually services and a team that came in from out of state. I work in TN, and the team that came in was from Kentucky. Our state offices have given us some mandates for points of emphasis that we have been trying to enforce throughout the season. The first thing that caused problems was that TN has chosen to keep the 6' coaches box, but Kentucky uses the new one. The coaches couldn't figure out why they couldn't roam the sideline that night. Apparently my partner and I called a much tighter game than what they were used to as well. Apparently they have been allowed to ride a defensive post player up the lane or across the lane. Unfortunately for them they were called for several fouls. The girls from KY ended up losing by 20 points because they refused to come out of the zone that kept giving up the air assault of three pointers, and the KY boys ended up winning in the last few seconds. I guess my question is, does anyone else seem to find this a problem when they encounter teams from different areas, and to the coaches who read this post, there is something to be said about not only scouting a team, but to also scout and find out how referees call in an area that you are travelling to.