View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 27, 2006, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl H. Long
Without seeing the play I may be inclined to question mechanics as you did. The lone back on the play went in motion to my side. At the snap he ran down my sideline about 15 yards. The tight end ran out about 5 yards and cut straight toward my sideline. The defense adjusted but when the pass went over middle and then ran toward L side of field the R was cleaning up down the L's sideline. U was cleaning up the middle. I was forced to view the blocking by TE and back on my sideline.
Fair enough, but 4 players 40 yards behind the play are probably just watching while your crew clearly missed a PF where the action was. This isn't a 7 man crew, you're not going to be able to see everything. But, a DB PF on the ball carrier who scores needs to be called a lot more than a little chicken fighting 40 yds behind the play or even a sideline warning. You're a lot more valuable to your crew on this play at the 10-15 yard line than you are at the 30. Just my opinion of course, but U and R can and most likely will see anything really bad back there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl H. Long
I disagree with your point of who covers goalline. In this situation it is the BJ responsibility. As LJ my only responsibility was the players in my side zone, the sideline, and bench decorum. The A Player crossed the goal line right in the middle of the field so the pylon on my sideline is a nonfactor. I can only react to what happens and if to adjust but always within my primary coverage area.
Sure the BJ has goal line on a 70 yard play, but he can't cover both sidelines as well. The kid cut across the field at the end of the play. Your BJ was probably standing on the GL in the middle of the field. Your HL had his sideline and was close so he could help the BJ. What would have happened if the kid cuts across the field and dives at your pylon? Who helps the BJ? You're 30 yards away, was he in or out? Sideline decorum shouldn't matter / nor should any surge because you should be closer to the play.