View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 27, 2006, 03:22pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
I have seen many Ts given that in my opinion shouldn't have because

1 -- player just shoves an opponent in the back during a screen away from the ball (flagrant was to harsh -- I thought maybe even the T was to harsh since the player only was moved about a foot --but the T had to be called because the game was going down the wrong direction)
2 -- double T during jump ball -- player getting up from on top the player gently nudges the player below him who gets up and shoves him back.

SO there I was wrong 6 total T's in 4 years. All I am saying when you start getting those cheap shots in your game and players elbowing and shoving its because YOU didnt set them straight with how YOU were going to call the game. as an official a game gets out of control because of YOU not the players -- you know a game will be physical nip it early -- "Hands off red" next time you have to say that *tweet* foul -- this goes for post play away from the ball -- off ball calls helps a lot. Next thing you know the players that play overly aggressive now have a couple fouls early and have to adjust. You let blue shove red in the post now red think he can shove blue back -- now THEY push the line back because you were not firm.
Agree....and you just posted two examples where a technical foul couldn't and shouldn't be called, by rule. In both #1 & 2 above, you had live-ball contact fouls. Those are personal fouls of some type, never a technical foul. Technical fouls are dead-ball contact fouls. A shove in the back during a screen is personal foul. And a nudge immediately followed by retaliation during a jump ball would be a double personal foul.

You control the game by calling intentional or flagrant personal fouls if the play is getting too rough. Elbowing, pushing and shoving during play are personal fouls, not technical fouls.

Just wanted to straighten out the technicalities, not the technicals.