View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 27, 2006, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe I am just different but I can for see a possible volatile situation on the horizon and attempt to fix it before it gets there. Thats just me.

A player says my partnerscall was bullpoop and well that will get him a T.

I have seen many Ts given that in my opinion shouldn't have because

a) the officials didnt try and defuse anything that led up to the T
b) the officials put themselves in those situations to give the T rather than reading the situation -- referring to the you know the coach is pissed so you report and just give him a look like 'what now?' -- aka leading
c) overly judicious officials
d) officials with no common sense

most T's I have seen have fallen under those categories. I can remember all 5 T's I have given

1 -- player just shoves an opponent in the back during a screen away from the ball (flagrant was to harsh -- I thought maybe even the T was to harsh since the player only was moved about a foot --but the T had to be called because the game was going down the wrong direction)
2 -- double T during jump ball -- player getting up from on top the player gently nudges the player below him who gets up and shoves him back.
3 -- coach getting blown out was frustrated and for 1 whole quarter was just being a pain in the a$$ -- i tried to reason but when that failed I hated to but at least it got him sitting and quiet
4 -- my partner makes a call and is walking away and coach says "what a horsepoop call and everyone knows it" -- I waited a second to see if my partner heard it so he could deal with it then I dealt with it.
5 -- Player passes the ball to the 6th player in the 3rd row of the bleacher and gets upset with himself so he yells out "f___" well it was loud enough for me to hear it about 10 feet away (couldve probably heard it 20 feet away) so it cost him.

SO there I was wrong 6 total T's in 4 years. All I am saying when you start getting those cheap shots in your game and players elbowing and shoving its because YOU didnt set them straight with how YOU were going to call the game. as an official a game gets out of control because of YOU not the players -- you know a game will be physical nip it early -- "Hands off red" next time you have to say that *tweet* foul -- this goes for post play away from the ball -- off ball calls helps a lot. Next thing you know the players that play overly aggressive now have a couple fouls early and have to adjust. You let blue shove red in the post now red think he can shove blue back -- now THEY push the line back because you were not firm.

You can prevent a lot of T's by being aware of the game -- you notice 2 players getting physical tell them to knock it off lound enough so they both hear you -- dead ball get up in their face and tell them to cut it out. Now start blowing your whistle. If these same 2 players somehow get "entangled up" and its close enough to be either one -- double foul. Its always best however to get the FIRST offense but once two players are at it give em both a foul. THEY WILL ADJUST. By the time you have to give the T you have lost control.

so you can prevent unsporting behavior in many instances...

as for the coaches you can only really WORK with those that some some sort of reason and common sense built into them -- otherwise you are wasting your time -- my 2 cents.