View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I did not say anything about how you dress as being unethical. I only talked about dress in the context of how things will vary based on where you live and the level you are working. When I work college games it is expected that we wear suits and much more than we do at the HS level.
I'm not the one that brought how a person dresses when arriving at the game into the discussion. You did. Don't bring it up if it is not relevant.

Quote:
And at the college level Hank Nichols made it clear it was OK for those to take the NCAA test with people "sitting right next to you at your computer, I do not care." So let us relax on what is "unethical" when the standards are not always the same across the board.
That is orthoganal to the discussion. We were talking about knowingly providing the test to those whose organizations DO require that they take it without prior access.

Quote:
The testing body for most of us is the state or local association that you belong to. It is not the NF. The NF produces a test and each state choice to use it how they see fit. There are states that make their own test for qualification purposes. How can someone be unethical in getting a copy or giving out a copy of a test their state does not even use?
Again, you're completely missing the point. We're talking about people that DO use the test.

Quote:
They are very subjective and variable in many ways. We are just going to have to disagree on this one (what else is new). Until you can show me in the code of ethics there is something specific to the test, then it is very subjective what rules apply to a test.
Peace
I can't believe you even think you have a viable stance on such a simple point.

From http://www.naso.org/benefits/ethics.htm
Sports Officials Code of Ethics

The National Association of Sports Officials believes the duty of sports officials is to act as impartial judges of sport competitions. We believe this duty carries with it an obligation to perform with accuracy, fairness and objectivity through an overriding sense of integrity.
Because of their authority and autonomy, officials must have a high degree of commitment and expertise. NASO believes these facts impose on sports officials the higher ethical standard by which true professionals are judged.
Officials who are "professionals" voluntarily observe a high level of conduct, not because of fear of penalty, but rather out of personal character. ...
This conduct has as its foundation a deep sense of moral values and use of reason which substantiate the belief a given conduct is proper simply because it is.

ARTICLE IV
Sports officials have a responsibility to continuously seek self-improvement through study of the game, rules, mechanics and the techniques of game management. They have a responsibility to accurately represent their qualifications and abilities when requesting or accepting officiating assignments.

There you have it...in writing. Submitting a test that has answers obtained through methods other than intended by the testing organization is a manner that does not accurately represent an officials qualifications or ability. Many states have a minimun score needed to work games and cheating on the test to work games is in direct conflict with this code of ethics.
ARTICLE V

Sports officials shall protect the public (fans, administrators, coaches, players, et al.) from inappropriate conduct and shall attempt to eliminate from the officiating avocation/profession all practices which bring discredit to it.

Just like gambling, cheating on a test brings into serious question the integrity of the official. If they're going to lie about one thing related to officiating the game, what's to stop them with other topics. Will they favor a team who's coach is a family friend? Will they hang a partner out in order to make the look bad for their own benefit? Will they lie about their partners to obtain a better assignment?