View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks All

Thanks for all the responses. I never expected it to be this much. I read through them all and they have all been very helpful to me, in one way or another. Most of you wanted me to clarify some things on the circumstances behind me doing these games. Here they are:
  1. The primary reason I do these games is to gain experience (i.e. see more live plays, make split-second decisions, apply my knowledge of the rules, etc.) and to stay in shape. Money is a very minor consideration. I get paid $22 a game, usually do 3 games a day.
  2. Another reason I like to do these games is that I just LOVE to officiate basketball. I love the challenge and the "authority" associated with it. Plus, the gym is like 10 mins away from where I live. The assignor has expressed his appreciation multiple times for me doing these games and helping him out last minute. I'm guessing this would help me in some way in the future.
  3. I have been doing them for about 2 months now and never have I felt personally threatened, like how bigdogrunnin or tomegun described. Not even felt any urge to ask the gym management to throw a guy out of the gym or to call the cops.
    I agree with what most people have said that most of these guys are just "jerks" on the court. Most guys are good guys off court, hence why I don't feel threatened at all.
    To give a few examples. I did a game last night and I missed a kick ball situation. A1 who lost the ball bec of the kick was all over me, saying how I missed it, etc., etc. Then B1 who kicked the ball came to me and said that he did kick it. So during the first timeout, I approched A1 and told him that I did miss that call. You know what he said to me? In a calm way: "Oh don't worry about it. It was just the adrenaline bec of the game. And sorry I was complaining too much."
    Then another guy missed a rebound and screamed his lungs out asking for a foul. I let it go since the scream wasn't particularly directed to me and he just came into the game (i.e. no prior incident). The next time up the floor, after the opposing team hit a shot, he screamed "3 SECONDS" in my face. I had no choice but to T him up. After the game, he approached me and my partner in a very calm manner and asked for clarification on why it wasn't 3 seconds and why I T'd him up. He really wanted to know and learn.
    I think most of the players in these leagues are like this. They get too caught up in the game that they act like jerks during the game, but after that, they are reasonable and harmless people. Of course, there are a few bad apples that don't fit this mold.
    However, this in no way excuses their behavior on the court. They should just play the game and don't worry about the officials. The way most of them act, everything is the officials' fault. It's pretty funny that I haven't seen any incident re team getting on each other. Most of the time they are pretty friendly with each other. It's like the refs are both team's opponents. Haha.
  4. I've mentioned what I think the advantages are to me of doing these games in points 1 and 2. Unfortunately, I do agree that as far as mechanics are concerned, these don't help at all. Most of the partners I get are nonchalant, they don't hustle, don't want to do switches, seems like they don't want to be there and they only are there for the money. Most of these teams don't even have jersey numbers so I don't get to practice proper mechanics in reporting fouls. Plus, it's running time so we always get pressured to avoid unnecessary delays. Also, the logistics of the court are terrible. The table and benches are on the baseline, hence there is no place to get a good angle when I'm the lead. Also, there is only about 1 foot of space on each sideline. So sometimes, I just miss calls that I can't see because I can't get a proper angle. Of course, they expect us to see everything.

One thing I picked up from your comments are: (1) the incessant whining is not really a reflection of my officiating skills but more of the characteristics of these leagues; (2) I should apply the rules like it were a HS game: no unnecessary contact, move your feet on defense, etc.