View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

I have called Men's Rec. League games for about 4-5 years now, and they are the biggest group of complainers I have EVER been associated with. Rarely do they know the rules (but they will argue to their last breath otherwise), and they almost never know the correct application/administration of those rules. However, in the years that I have called those games, I have had only one instance where I found myself in a precarious situation . . .

The man was being incredibly loud and obnoxious, but not to the point where I wasn't going to let him play. Once he started playing, he became worse, and was out of control on the court. I whistled him for 2 fouls, then my partner got him for one, then we had a PC foul. He blew up over the PC foul and started yelling at me, then he got a "T." We shot the tech, he came out, and all was "sort of" well again. He came back and played a little more, got called for his 5th foul and was done for the night. On his way out, he yells at me, and calls me a "f-ing, punk-a** referee," and tells me I am a, "sorry m-f!" Of course this is on his way out the door. I asked one of his teammates if he was planning on coming back and he said no, so I left it at that. Guess what happened . . . YEP, he comes back about 5 minutes later. I tell him he can't be in the gym any more. He stays. I tell the league administrator he can't be in the gym, and that I won't finish the game while the player is there. The player gets upset and RUNS after me, cursing and swearing. I stood where I was, not moving, but reminding him (CALMLY) that he could not be in the gym, and that he had to leave. One of his teammates gets him and tries to take him outside . . . after 5 minutes of those two fighting, and several players getting in front of me (to keep this disgruntled player from getting to me) they finally get him to the door. Game cancelled with a score of 62-59 and 2:35 on the clock. Good game too. Cops called, the player left and is now banned from the league and the property.

That is the ONLY incident I have ever had at a Men's Rec. League. EVER! It was bad, but in the dozens and dozens of games I have called for them, one bad apple cannot force me to judge the entire bunch. Most can be ornery during a game, but that is competition. They don't have to be disrespectful or discourteous, but for the most part, these people are decent everyday people.

I would say that you should run the game just like you would a HS or College game, and expect the players to adhere to the same standards. If they don't, they can leave. I ALWAYS use Rec League games to improve my mechanics and my game management. Yeah, I like the extra money, and the opportunity to get into "game shape," but I believe it is more important to use that time to improve my skills. However, if you aren't enjoying doing those games, let someone else take them, you can do other things to get in shape. Just my take.