View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 05:41am
Huck Finn

I think you should officiate games like this. I will tell you why:

1. You are still referring to fouls you call as "reaches" which tells me you may need more experience
2. You think you are supposed to take it easy on players may indicate a need to work on managing a game - there is no way you should let someone get in your face and yell
3. In my experience, coaches and players will whine at the high school level (college level for coaches). We have to learn how to handle it.

I think all officials should do rec leagues to a certain point and then decide if they want to continue or not. Personally, it isn't a big deal to me because I'm going to call what I'm going to call and the players (in Phoenix, Las Vegas and the Washington DC area) eventually understand that all the BS they try will not change it. Once an official feels like they can handle/manage rec leagues then they can decide if they want to continue doing them. I'm not saying officiate a league where you are threatened or anything like that. I just think rec leagues can be a useful tool for improvement.