Thread: Misinformation?
View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
i disagree with this -- because like i said before what if you start your count and A has not gathered the ball for the throw in because lets say they were not paying attention or are just wasting time.

I would still grant a timeout if they wanted to award team A with a new count thats on them. I would only not grant the timeout if team A actually had the ball as was on their way to inbounds.
You can disagree, but you are completely wrong. The ball is dead from the time the basket is made until it is at the new offensive team's disposal -- when it is live. The opposing team can not call a time out when the ball is live and is at the other team's disposal (5-8-3). Having physical possession of the ball is not a requirement for "at the disposal of a player." (4-4-7c & d spell it out.)

You cannot make up the rules because you don't like them. The only judgment you have to make is at what point the ball is at the new team's disposal. As this year's new interpretation makes clear, taking possession of the ball after it goes through the net does not equal "at disposal." All the other posters have stated it correctly -- once you start a count, it is too late for the scoring team to legally be granted a time out.