View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

Obtain films!

I attended a clinic this year attended by some "all star" officials. There were officials from NFL, Big East, etc. including Mike Pieira and Art McNally. Art was the (I believe) very first supervisor of officials for the NFL. He spoke to us for one hour about the importance of film study and how it helps the NFL officials get better. And, they're the best on the planet!

You DO have film available to you. At least you should. If you work varsity contests (which you say you do), then get your hands on the film. If you get assigned local TV games just use your VCR. But for those other varsity games that don't get that much attention they're still being filmed by the schools. I have called AD's after my games and asked that if I sent in a blank VHS tape and paid for the postage could they get their A/V departments to duplicate the tape for me. No one has ever told me no. There was one isolated case where I sent the tape and they never sent it back. But, the point is if you make the effort to get film you will obtain it. Once you have film then a senior member to critique it for you. Believe me they will take the request as a compliment of their judgement and would gladly give advice. My president just watched a game I worked and gave me an excellent critique. Believe me, there's no better way to learn than from seeing yourself on film. Just make the effort and get it in your hands.

Good Luck.