Thread: Money issues
View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Here in Shreveport, Louisiana, my annual dues of $40 covered books, test, etc. The schools pay (and actually choose) the assignment secretary.

Varsity games are paid a state-determined (see http://www.lhsaa.org/sports/basketba...allby-laws.pdf) flat fee according to the number of games an official works that day PLUS a single patch fee ($0 for "registered officials", $2 for a "approved officials" or $6 for a "certified officials") for the day.

1 game only: $24.50 - $27 (amount depends upon classification)
2 games (a doubleheader): total of $36 for both games
3 games (a tripleheader): total of $54 for all three games

The fee is the same whether a 2-person or 3-person crew is utilized. The school also pays a single 60 cents per mile one-way mileage, which is usually split among the crew.

The typical assignment is for a Louisiana official to work a doubleheader (a varsity girl game and a varsity boys game) and, if the official is "certified," the official will get $42 for the night plus a share of mileage. Most of the time the game fee is given to the official at the game.

In our association, all games are officiated with 3-person crews. I do NOT believe that most of the other Louisiana assiciations use 3-person crews exclusively.

Fees for tournament games and all sub-varsity games are negotiated directly between the officials' association and the schools.

Tournament fees in our area (not just by our association) generally range from $20-$30 per official per game (2 or 3 person crews) with no mileage.

For freshmen and JV games, we charge $25 for one game, $40 for two, with a little mileage if the school is "out of town." I'm not sure what the junior high fee is.