View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Next step in my progression as an official.

I'm looking for what to do next to get better as an official. I know there's a million things so I'll tell you what I currently do and my feelings on it then maybe y'all can come up with some ideas.

1) I take as many games a possible. JV, Freshman, pee-wee, varsity, it doesn't matter. If it's football and they need someone I take it. I love being on the field.

2) I ask millions of questions to all the older officials. I don't like this anymore cause if I ask the same question to 4 different officials I'm likely to get 5 different answers.

3) I read the rulebook, casebook or manual at least a couple times a week. Some portion of the book. This is helpful but I feel I sometimes I over-think while I'm out on the field. Not saying it's causing me to be indecisive but sometimes I feel that way. That case book will sometimes make your head want to explode not only with what's in there but sometimes with what is not in there.

Anyhow what else should I do? The one thing I really don't like about officiating right now is the lack of practice and instruction. I mean we take a little written test and buy some stripes and it's ok...your an official. I don't get any film to study and I've never had anyone from our association go over mechanics with me on a field in a practice type situation. I know that's difficult to organize probably since we all got jobs and lives and stuff. But when I played I found that gameday was a bad time to work on anything and I'm think officiating is about the same. How do y'all get better?