View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

I'll take the opposite approach because we all know there are some weak crews out there and somehow, they still get games. I'm assuming that the situation in Iowa is typical.

The problems are:

Officials are evaluated by coaches which is a bad practice - Coaches don't know the rules, have an ax to grind and should be concentrating on their team's play during the game and not on the refs.

There aren't enough good evaluators out there so the league/state has a tough time identifying the good and bad crews.

Training is only for the new guys. The older established refs are free to do things their way.

Not enough officials so assigners are forced to keep hiring bad ones.

No uniformity between areas - officials in one area have their processes, procedures and training but it is entirely different in other areas.

Buddy system - Assignments are based often on the buddy system. This is something that can affect assignments all the way up the levels of officiating. Newer talented officials can be overlooked because no one knows them. Older officials are cut some slack because they are active in the group, been around forever, etc.

My recommendations -

Drop the coaches evaluations and use the money to hire more evaluators.

Have the state get more involved in developing training programs and requirements.

Tie in more tightly the assignment of playoff games to crew ratings.