View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 24, 2006, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

2 years ago working an 8th grade girls game. About 100 people in the stands, parents, teachers, etc. on one side of the floor, and about 25 kids (mostly boys) on the other side.

Team A shoots and misses, B-1 gets the rebound and throws an outlet pass up the court. My partner (who was the trail, and has become the new lead) busts his butt down the court. I'm following up on the other side, with my head turned to watch the majority of the players still reacting to the fast break going the other way. At about half-court, I notice my partner on his back, SLIDING up the floor! The play continues, he hops back up and starts officiating again.

At a break, I ask him what happened. He said as he started to run up the court, a kid was jumping out of the bleachers to run on the floor (probably on a dare from a friend) and my partner ran straight into him and flipped over on his back (hence the slide). My partner is about 5'-6" and the kid was probably bigger than he was. They threw the kid out of the game.

After the game, my partner was real sore. As it turns out, he eventually had to have some kind of back surgery (he already had a bad back) perhaps as a result of the "incident". Every time I see this guy I ask him if he's run over any fans lately.