Thread: defensive steal
View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 24, 2006, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
No, B1 does not have FC status when his first foot touches down. That's exactly what rule 9-9-3 is telling you. B1's landing is an exception to the normal way of determining frontcourt/backcourt status. The NFHS is saying that because B1 is completely airborne, he doesn't have his status determined until after both feet have landed. After landing, if B1 has one feet in the FC and one foot in the BC, then B1 now has BC status but also never has had frontcourt status.

Note that this exception only applies to a completely airborne player. If a player takes a throw-in or steals a pass with one foot already on the court, then, yes, where that foot is touching the court will determine their FC/BC status.
While I have the same conclusion, I do not agree with the description.

The determination of B1's status is not delayed or unknown; B1 is in the frontcourt and has control of the ball...players and the ball always have a status. However, B1 is given exception to the backcourt violation despite having frontcourt status with contol of the ball before touching in the backcourt.

I make this claim because B1 s not allowed to pass to any other B player in the backcourt while airborne in this situation without causing a backcourt violation.