Thread: Money issues
View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 24, 2006, 07:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
My comments aren't critical, but I thought I would comment on a couple minor things in your post, just in case you were interested. If you're not interested, I won't be offended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef
Massachusetts:

My annual dues are $75. That's it. Covers state & national (IAABO) dues, medical/liability insurance, books and one meal at the annual banquet.
My board's dues are $100. That covers roughly the same as what you've listed. We also pay for the board interpreter and secretary to travel to the Fall IAABO meeting; and for the secretary and president to travel to the Spring IAABO meeting. So that adds a bit of expense.

Quote:
3-person mechanics (which are now being used only for state tournament games.)
If you'd said "primarily", I wouldn't have a problem with it. But the fact is, 3-whistle is in use during the regular season in varying degrees all across the state. I've been told that there is a conference in Boston that is primarily 3-whistle all season. The Berkshire board has been working 3-whistle for a couple seasons now, at a reduced rate that they negotiated with their schools. The Hampden board has been using 3-whistle for 2 years on a limited basis in their Division 1 games.

Additionally, the MIAA has approved a 3-whistle fee for the upcoming regular season. I can't remember at the moment if it is 80% or 85% of the 2-whistle fee. But it will be either $58 (80%) or $62 (85%). That doesn't mean that schools have to use 3-whistle; but if they do use it, they don't have to haggle with the local board over the fee. The state board of officials voted to oppose a reduced fee for 3-whistle, but personally, I think it's a good idea if we ever actually want it to become accepted.

Last edited by ChuckElias; Tue Oct 24, 2006 at 10:04am.