View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 22, 2006, 08:53am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAndBack
Guess not.

Sorry to waste your time.
Hey, this is a serious question.

Your first few years are going to be HARD YEARS. This is why many, many officials pack it in after a year or two. You don't know what you don't know and everyone else sees a rookie (or near rookie) official. It's like blood in the water.

I'm sorry to see you give up basketball, is what I'm saying. It doesn't really get good (in my opinion) until you're super-comfortable (read: almost bored) working a JV game and start working towards varsity. Now I don't get pumped up until I'm in my jacket listening to the band playing the warmup music.

I've brought 2 new officials onto my crew the past 3 seasons in football. Neither official had worked a football game. EVER. Their first games were as my back judge on a varsity field.

The guy with 3 years experience (now) is my umpire and he is one of the best I've ever worked with. The guy with 2 years experience moved to line judge this season and did a great job. They both had extensive experience working other sports and that helped, but they were still willing to make mistakes and accept criticism. Sounds like a mentor would help you a lot.

Is your season almost over? Once it's over, put your gear away for a while and revisit these thoughts in a few months. Someone who cares enough to come here and post should stick with it a while.