View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 20, 2006, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
I don't get the chance to work 3-man but in camps I've been too, one of the suggestions was:

Look there, go there.

Meaning....if there is a reason to look (not glance but focus) across the paint (matchup, ball, etc.) go.
Sorry I don't usually get into the multiple posts but this seems like a real fun topic. This philosophy again is too slow as you have been beaten by the play. You want to be rotated in time to receive the oncoming screen, post play, or whatever maybe coming your way from the opposite lane line. I have been taught that once the ball gets passed the LANE LINE (sorry about the misunderstanding earlier) then you rotate regardless of how many people are still on the other side you just rotated from, cause inevitably unless this is a one on one clear out play there will be kids coming to the ball. They (upper echelon of college and pro officials) want you to have to look back over your shoulder and let the players come to you. I have the mindset of being a little more selective in plays going away from me as percentages have shown that calling plays that are going away from you have a smaller chance of being called correctly. That is my reasoning for "beating the play". Another way to think of it as well is comparing the rotation to the fast break. Would you ideally want to be in front of the players and beat them down the floor or would you rather trail the play? Just food for thought. I love provoking good debate in the heads of good officials or those looking to always improve, which I hope is everyone. Have a good weekend.