View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 20, 2006, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Nevada already posted this, but I'll throw it up here again:

4-15-4 NOTE 2: A player is not dribbling while slapping the ball during a jump, when a pass rebounds from his/her hand, when he/she fumbles, or when he/she bats a rebound or pass away from other players who are attempting to get it. The player is not in control under these conditions.

As I said earlier, the direction of the bat is not relevant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
It means "to keep it away" from other players. It doesn't mean "in a direction opposite" from other players.

When you played "Keep Away" as a kid, did you always throw the ball in a direction that was opposite from the kid who was it? No, you throw it any direction as long as that kid doesn't get the ball. Same thing here. Direction is irrelevant. The point of the note is that the player is batting the ball to keep it away from other players.

You're trying too hard on this one, Jim.
What you are in essence saying, is that "when he/she bats a rebound or pass away from other players who are attempting to get it" is the same as when he/she bats a rebound toward another player.

Clearly, this is not the case.

All I'm saying is that a player can tap a ball with or without control and an experienced official can tell the difference, and should be able to use his/her own judgment to make the call.