Thread: unusual play
View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 20, 2006, 02:12pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Another one that we've gone through before iirc.....

Yes, NCAA rules use almost the same type of language. A player might not actually strike the ball with their legs but they're also specifically not allowed to use their legs in any way to play the ball. They say it's a violation for a player to intentionally use his/her feet to play the ball or to gain an advantage by using any part of the leg(s). It's set out concisely in 2 separate approved rulings-- NCAA 4-35AR94 & 98.

There is no definitive NFHS case play or rules language to cover similar plays though. Jmo, but the same logic should extend to FED games also. Iow it should be a violation under NFHS rules to intentionally use the legs under the same circumstances also. We tell our officials to call it that way if it ever comes up. If you don't agree with that, then your best bet imo probably would be to run that one by your local rules interpreter and get his opinion. Mileage may vary.

I knew we had discussed this exact play before. I believe I had the same call and called held ball before I realized that A1 had the ball held only with his legs. The whole reason I asked the question here was wondering about the language of the ncaa rule, if perhaps it was broader to say contact with the leg/foot was illegal as opposed to striking. Either way, this call falls into the category that you will see it seldom enough that nobody much will argue with you if you sell it. From now on, it'll be a quick whistle and a violation call with me if I see it between the legs, so there won't be time for B1 to dive in and start a wrestling match.

Lonesome Dove