View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

The Official Tim McCarver Intelligence Thread

Yeah, yeah, so the thread's title is an oxymoron, and yes, I am sure I am being a broken record, but I'm beginning to have fun trying to figure out just WHICH Tim McCarver statement is the stupidest. So, during the course of the World Series, if anyone hears this doofus make a stupid/asinine/foolish/"duh!"/false comment or statement, please share it. I'm guessing this thread should end up being a few hundred pages long as a result. In fact, we might overload the forum's servers.

Some real examples:

Quote:
From tonight's game:

"The difference between a safety squeeze and a suicide squeeze is that on a safety squeeze, the runner on third doesn't run until the batter makes contact with the ball."
Duh!

Quote:
From game 5 (IIRC):

After David Eckstein bunted one foul that looked like it may have just nicked his fingers, McCarver said, "He may have gotten wood on that one, in which case it would be a foul ball."
Uh, Tim, if Eckstein was attempting to bunt and the ball hit his hand, it's a dead ball strike.

Quote:
From Sunday's game 4 when the Cardinals pitcher had a quick set

You have to have one thousand one when coming to a stop. And you have to stop your glove in the same place every time in front of your body.
Quote:
From tonight's game when the Cardinals left-handed pitcher from the Set threw to first for a pickoff attempt:

"When he throws to first, he can't hesitate with his left leg."
I'm still trying to figure out just how a left-handed pitcher in contact with the rubber in the Set position can "hesitate" with his left leg, which is his pivot foot leg. Am I missing something?

Had I been watching the NCLS more consistently, I'm sure I'd have dozens--hundreds--more examples. Hopefully the masses here can pitch in during the course of the World Series.

What amazes me is that McCarver, more so than any other present day announcer IMHO, actually thinks he knows what he's talking about, that he's educating the viewers. He's such a condescending and pompous @ss.

Last edited by UMP25; Thu Oct 19, 2006 at 11:14pm.