View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 08:50am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmettoref
Hello guys. I was reviewing the NFHS exam and a particular question is continually coming up for discussion at our local district meetings. It is #49 -----> The resumption of play procedure is only in effect following a charged time out or intermission. I understand the resumption of play procedure but if you have a situation where team A request a time out for a correctable error and it is still correctable, then team A is not going to be charged with a time out. Thus we will put the ball back into play and may utilize the resumption of play procedure if there is an unusual delay. Therefore I would answer that question as FALSE. Any information or help with this situation will be aprreciated. Thanks
The correct answer is TRUE.

Rules 7-5-1, 8-1-2 and 10-1-5(b) specifically say that the resumption of play procedures only apply to two situations- delays following a charged time out or intermission. There are no other situations listed in the rules, including the one that you detailed above, that are listed as also being eligible for the resumption-of-play procedures.

In the situation that you listed- i.e. a team failing to be ready after any official's time-out, then rule 10-1-5(b) is used. There is no warning given because the circumstances are not one of the two situations listed as being eligible for delay-of-game procedures. Iow, because it's not after a time-out or intermission, it's an immediate team technical foul charged to team A, with no warning, for delaying the game by preventing the ball from being put into play.

Btw, the FED-issued answer sheet for the Part I exam also lists the correct answer for #49 as being TRUE.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Thu Oct 19, 2006 at 08:54am.