View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 18, 2006, 12:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef
We need to supports each other on every call we are a team and need stay together. "Play the game" that comment is horse crap and you know it! So I should just bow down and kiss the veteran's ring before the game and carry their bags in and out of the gym, give me a break. You say “get the call right” is always our goal but you better “play the game” with your partners for their support, their support should be there unconditionally.
You come off to me as a person that thinks everything in life is fair. That is a noble position, but often not true. I never said anything about bowing down to anyone. I am saying if a veteran is so sure about a call, I am not going to go against them so I will take all the heat for a possible mistake. If I am the younger official and I am wrong, there are many veterans that will not support you when it is all said and done. When I say "play the game" that means that you should also look at the bigger picture. You have two officials that disagree. Someone has to give up the call. We both cannot be right. I am just going to defer to the person that has the trust of the assignor and coaches and let them take the heat if they are wrong. Not many people are going to be mad at a younger official if they defer to a more experienced person. Younger officials do not have the same margin for error.

Peace