View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS Rules Interpretations - Interntional Foul on the Offense

Sorry if you have already discussed this stuff... I haven't been on the site for awhile.

The NFHS Points of Emphasis... http://www.nfhs.org/web/2006/05/2006..._emphasis.aspx

Concerning Intentional Fouls, state:
Additionally, in throw-in situations, fouling a player that is not involved in the play in any way (setting a screen, attempting to receive the in-bound pass, etc.) must be deemed intentional.

Does this mean we are being asked to call an intentional foul on the offense? I can believe some offensive team actions meeting the definition of intentional foul but has anyone done that, and what was the reaction of the coach/crowd?

Most of the offensive actions I can envision would just be called a foul - screener holds (foul, not intentional); reciever bangs into a stationary defender so he may get the pass (foul, not intentional); others.

When would I call an intentional foul on an offensive player during a throw-in? (Thereby, giving the defense two shots and the ball.)

I guess blatantly knocking the defensive player down... I would call intentional. Are there others?

Last edited by DownTownTonyBrown; Mon Oct 16, 2006 at 02:25pm.