View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

I have to look at it this way: I feel that great officials know when they have to officiate and when they can let games flow. Some games require 65 fouls, others do not. Some players can take a little bump, go to the hole and score; some cannot. It really isn't the old decision of "advantage" or "disadvantage"....it is more like how good our judgement is . Can you decide when to call a foul and when to let a little contact go? I give a great example of this:

I watched two HS officials doing a christmas tournament game. They had 7 (yes SEVEN) and-ones in the FIRST HALF! Now, there are times when you have to blow those, but for the most part, 6 of them were play-ons. I think that is one aspect that is being discussed here.

Games that are very physical demand that you evaluate plays carefully and decide what needs to be called. I can think of looking at the Mens D one if you want to see some games that get way too physical. You never see a "pass and crash" called there (well, not never but rarely).