View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 01:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbduke
The "contact" entry above is a perfect example of how the Fed is out of touch. I was at a jamboree today that was staffed almostly exclusively by officials inexperienced in 3-whistle mechanics. One of the crews I watched finish up a ballgame followed the "contact" guidelines above to a T, and because they did, the very nearly lost control of the game late. Team B is down eight points in the last minute, trying to give a foul, but not coming up with much in the way of contact. Lots of swipes, some light contact; three or four of these go uncalled (passing on this level of contact earlier in the game would have been fine), so finally team B gets in a good, solid push. Intentional foul rightly called, then crew has to step in to break up a near-fight.

If they had allowed Team B to give a touch foul, things are much better. I'll take my medicine from higher-ups if they choose to give it to me, but if a team is trying to give a foul late, I'm going to let them do it without letting things get to the point where they feel they have to commit an "obvious" foul for me to blow.
I disagree with you 100%. Is there anything else that you are going to give to a team just because they want it?

While fouling late in the game is a legitimate strategy, it must be done properly. A team which cannot execute that tactic skillfully does not deserve to be rewarded by an official, but instead should suffer by having to watch the clock continue to run or be penalized with an intentional foul if appropriate.