View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 15, 2006, 12:58pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac

I don't want to see a lack of flow happen to basketball. I have been involved with basketball as a player, coach, official, and fan for over forty years, and I think basketball is one of the most exciting sports for several reasons. One reason is that success in basketball can be achieved through both individual (Michael Jordan, Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem Abdul Jabbar) and team (1960's Celtics, 1970's Knicks) effort. Another reason is the inherent beauty and athleticism of the game, which includes the flow of the game.
Just a personal observation on that though too, Billy. Take it fwiw.

In my experience, players will adapt quickly and react accordingly if the rules are being called consistently. They might not like it, but they will adapt.

Case in point....the NHL going to a stricter application of existing rules that have been in the book many years. The players are adapting.

Another case in point......do you ever see NBA players out on the court without their shirts tucked in? Answer- hardly ever...and they will tuck 'em in first chance they get. High school players? Well, it's POE #2 in this year's rule book again. That tells you all that you need to know about consistent rules applications imo, whether the rule happens to be crappy or not.