View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 15, 2006, 11:55am
Esteemed Forum Member

Advantage Disadvantage, Etc.

Over the past two years I have posted and responded to several threads regarding the Intent (Spirit) and Purpose of the Rules / The Tower Philsophy / Advantage Disadvantage. I thought that some Forum members might be interested in an update:

A few nights ago, after a new members clinic, I approached Peter Palermino, our IAABO Board #6 interpreter, with a question that has been debated often on this Forum. I simply asked him if Intent (Spirit) and Purpose of the Rules / The Tower Philsophy / Advantage Disadvantage only applied to fouls or if these principles applied to both fouls and violations. The first part of his response didn't surprise me. He stated that the Intent (Spirit) and Purpose of the Rules / The Tower Philsophy / Advantage Disadvantage apply to the entire Rule Book.

The second part of his response did surprise me. He stated that he had attended several national interpretation meetings during the off season and that the NFHS was very concerned that many officials and many official organizations had taken these principles too far. The pendulum had swung too far to one side. Many officials and many official organizations had used the principle of Advantage Disadvantage to make up their own rule interpretations, in direct contrast to what the NFHS had intended in terms of how the game of basketball is to be properly played and officiated. Officials were acting like diners in a restaurant, selecting items (rules) that they liked from the menu, and not selecting items (rules) that they didn't like. According to Peter, the NFHS would like to see a more literal interpretation of the Rule Book, and would like to have these rules applied to actual game situations in that literal manner. It appears that Jurassic Referee and other members of this Forum are way ahead of their time. Officials like myself, and official's organizations, like my local Board, are going to have to move the pendulum back the other way.

Hopefully, the pendulum won't swing too far the other way. I know virtually nothing about field hockey or girls lacrosse. I do know that when I have observed these games on a few occasions, I was dissappointed that these otherwise exciting games, seemed to be constantly interupted by official's whistles. These constant stops and restarts took away from the flow of the game. I suppose that my dislike of these sports is mostly due to my ignorance of the games. I am also a baseball fan, and I have heard nonfans of baseball complain that they don't like baseball due to the slow pace and lack of flow to the game. As a fan of baseball, I have come to understand the subtle aspects of the game, and don't find a lack of flow to the game to exist.

I don't want to see a lack of flow happen to basketball. I have been involved with basketball as a player, coach, official, and fan for over forty years, and I think basketball is one of the most exciting sports for several reasons. One reason is that success in basketball can be achieved through both individual (Michael Jordan, Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem Abdul Jabbar) and team (1960's Celtics, 1970's Knicks) effort. Another reason is the inherent beauty and athleticism of the game, which includes the flow of the game.

One play from last season stands out in my mind, and as an official, I had the best seat in the house. A player made a steal near midcourt and was dribbling toward her basket, from the right side, with only one defender between her and the basket. As the new lead, it was just the three of us in the new frontcourt. As she neared the three point line, the dribbler, dribbling with her right hand, made a head fake to the right, followed by a crossover dribble to the left. This head fake and crossover dribble allowed her to get slightly ahead of her opponent. She finished the play with another crossover dribble to the right and made the right hand layup, just barely beating the attempted blocked shot by her defender. I saw a lot of dunks and three point "bombs" last season, but this play stands out in my mind. There is a certain amount of beauty in a well played game of basketball in which basic basketball skills and techniques have been mastered, as in this particular play. In thinking about this play, I compare it to ballet (I've only been to a ballet once). If ballet was a sport, it would be very similar to basketball.

Over the next several weeks, Peter will share what he has learned in the off season with the rest of our Board, and throughtout the season, we will try to get the pendulum moving in the other direction, as instructed by the NFHS. It is my hope that we get the pendulum centered and that it doesn't go too far the other way, causing my favorite game to become like my biased view of field hockey and girls lacrosse, and the nonfan's view of baseball.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Oct 15, 2006 at 12:03pm.