View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 02:20am
Official Forum Member

Re: What If??

Quote:
Originally posted by Rev.Ref63
I had a situation recently where the defensive player obviously flopped and then the shooter came down and tripped over him. I held my whistle and got an ear full from the coach of the offensive player who wanted a foul on the player on the floor. What is the proper call in this sitch?
rev.,
i am about to stir the pot.
this is a situation that could be used as a game management tool. and could be approached several different ways.

1. if the defender obviously flopped and the shooter tripped over him, depending on the kind of game, i might call a trip on the defender. if the game is real messy and bad defense is prevelant during the game i would probly call a foul on the D. this would convey the message that "this is unacceptable."

2. on the other hand you could see the play and while the defender is still on the floor, give him a look, and say, "get up" and motion to him to get up at the same time. this will let him know that you see what happened and you will not call it for him.

3. contact is made, but the defender still throws some acting into the mix. this is where the play gets dicey. if the offensive player makes contact, the defensive player is in LGP and acts to draw attention, i have to look very closely to determine whether the offensive player actually invades the space of the defensive player. if the offensive player does invade the space of the def. and there was contact(though he does act) i will call a P.C. foul because he went through the D. (but there has to be contact)

there are other diff. ways to handle but at 1:30am i am done.