Thread: Mechanics
View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 12, 2006, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
Sounds to me like this coach knew what he was doing and had the crew pegged.. all of this could have been solved with the sentence "coach I didnt see it that way, lets play ball".
its 2 man, not everything can be watches so tough luck for the coach
I disagree with this statement for the OP's situation.

The coach didn't "peg" the umps - they f'd up themselves. And a justification won't solve it - ever. Proper mechanics will.

2006 ASA Rules, Ump Edition, Page 214: (to paraphrase), with a R1 on 1B, trail the BR up the line, then be aware of the potential play at 3B on R1.

Pg. 239: (to paraphrase), the Base Umpire ascertains that all runners touch second and first bases.

In this play, both pairs of eyes should have seen this. It's the BU's responsibility to turn his head and look as he hooks in. Even if he didn't see it, it's a lot easier to sell than if he didn't even turn his head. Once R1 touches 2B, and heads to 3B, R1 isn't the BU's responsibility anymore (unless she comes back into 2B) - the only one he has to take care of now is the BR. The PU, on the other hand, was/should have been looking down the line, and for him to see the BR touch 1B is right in front of him (about 30-45 feet in front of him assuming he was trailing the BR like a good ump should).

Making an excuse that "gee, coach - not everything can be seen - there's only two of us out here" in unacceptable and inexcusable. The mechanics work well when used properly. And in the OP's situation, there shouldn't have been any reason (other than poor mechanics) for neither person to see the BR touch 1B.