Thread: Det/Oak Gm 2
View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 12, 2006, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Giaco
I'm not sure it would have been a long term discussion (probably just a clarification) but never the less, if this is how balks are handled at the MLB level, I hope this mentality filters it's way down to the NCAA ranks. Personally, I agree that balks are pretty cut & dry (ie, no stop, no step, started and stopped, etc) and for the most part, shouldn't require a visit for explanation. Unfortuneately, the head coaches at the NCAA level don't necessarily see it that way.
At the NCAA level, I have called a balk for whatever reason, and the head coaches almost always come out on me for clarification. I will let them come and ask "What did he do?" Once that question is answered, that's pretty much the end of the conversation. Some times they'll try to prolong it, but it's my job as an umpire to get the game moving again, so that's what I do.

BTW- I've never told an NCAA coach, "Don't come out here." But I have said that to coaches and managers at lower levels.