View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 21, 2002, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Hollywood
I would say that you did a good job. If you think that the game you called was ugly, I can tell you from personal experience that the alternative would have been far worse.

I was watching my daughter's game last week and keeping score (I obviously can't officiate in her league because of the conflict of interest but they let me keep score). The two teams matched were far and away the top two in the league and this game was for early season bragging rights.
The play was very physical right from the start and the official was relatively new (2nd year - not alot of games called). He wasn't calling much of anything unless someone really got clobbered. Seeing this, the coach of the opponent's team tells his girls (loud enough so that at least everyone at the scorer's table can her) to really take it to them. Next thing you know, bodies are flying all over the court for loose balls and the elbows are being flung over every rebound. I thought the game looked more like a rugby scrum than basketball.

My question for the experts here would be, what could/should I have done. I know many of you have kids who play ball and go and watch their games. Do you talk with the refs who are calling the game? I know this guy and this isn't a high school game - it's only a rec league - so I went up and talked to him about his calls but only in a positive way. It seemed to help a bit but I didn't want anyone to say I was trying to sway his calls towards our team. Thanks for the advice.