View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 21, 2002, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Re: Re: The Flop

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mike Burns
Quote:
I had this situation and did not call anything. The coach of the defensive player requested a T.O. to ride me about not calling a PC foul. Now I'm still a rookie and I'm not known by most coaches, so he's giving me an ear-full and I'm explaining the lack of contact. Then my vetern partner walks over and simply says, "That was a flop coach. That's all it was" and walks away.

"Yeah... what he said!"
Mike,

Don't get frustrated that the coach took what your veteran partner said and lived with it, while he was getting a real piece of you about the same call.

One of the sad but true aspects of officiating is that of gaining the respect and credibility with the coaches. If they know you and respect you, many times even bad calls are accepted. If you are the new kid on the block, every call will be analyzed looking for a reason to question you.

Keep working to get the angles and make the good solid calls. The coaches will start to give you respect for your work. I wish that I could tell you that it will take a finite period of time, but the time needed to garner the respect for each call differs with each coach.

However, they will notice if you keep hustling and giving your best effort each time out. Good luck!!