View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 21, 2002, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Mike Burns

I like the way you handled this play. I would not have a foul in that situation. If a defender establishes legal guarding position and then an offensive player initiates contact and the defender flops, I would have nothing. A simple response would be, Coach your player did not take the contact and bailed out by flopping. The Player control fouls we want to get are the "chest to chest" contact that usually takes both player to the floor.

Remember a defensive player is permitted to "firm up" when preparing to take an offensive foul. So many times I see officials take a good charge away because they believe the defensive player moved slightly into the offensive player. That would be considered "firming up" and an offensive foul should be called. Please do not construe this as sliding over in front of an airborne shooter from a the weakside on defense. That is a totally different play in itself. Allow your defensive player to "firm up" by a slight body movement and don't split hairs as to movement. If the movement is blatant than call a blocking foul.

This has been a good thread.