View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 21, 2002, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Need Help

I really like the posts in this thread. I will say, I really like donfowler's comments and I will echo the same. Some games will not be fun or enjoyable to work. Those games are the ones that you must concentrate, be consistent and just call fouls. Games like this, if you continue to call fouls and "stand your ground" the coaches and player will either get the point or players will foul out. Simple as that.

Most games, however; early in the game when you sense aggressive play turning into rough play, some good post play guideline fouls can be called which we call "tempo setters" to establish the game. Once these "tempo setters" are called (post play off the ball/on the ball and handchecking) most of the time (not all, like in your game as stated above) the game will be much smoother and the players will understand how the game will be officiated. However, if these plays are not called early and sometimes continually in your case, a game can escalate and get totally out of hand.

I like the way you handled it in that particular game, just keep blowing the whistle.