Thread: VHSL Officials
View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 10, 2006, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
IL has three levels: Registered, Recognized, Certified. To go from Registered to Recognized, an official must (among other things) pass the part 2 test, in a proctored setting, open book. To go from Recognized to Certified, and official mst (among other things) pass the Part 2 test, in a proctored setting, closed book.

The different levels are generally only used for playoff assingments -- each level proveds a certain number of "points" toward a "power rating". Other items in the "power rating" include part 1 test score, coaches ratings, etc.

Some assigners will look at the level to make assignments; others don't
This is how we used to organize things in Louisiana. I believe the levels were Approved, Registered and Certified. (That may not be the case today, it's been over 15 years since I called in Louisiana.)

In Texas, after calling for the past 2 years, I don't see anything similar to the 3-level system. Texas has a points system based on several factors including how many chapter meetings you attend, how many state and regional meetings you attend, how many scrimmages you work, how many camps you attend, and, of course, how many varsity level games you call.

Last edited by Kajun Ref N Texas; Tue Oct 10, 2006 at 05:21pm.