Thread: VHSL Officials
View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 10, 2006, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Isn't Jeff finished typing yet?

Oh well, I'll try to get it in before he does. In IL, we have 3 levels of officials, Registered, Recognized, and Certified. To be Registered, all you have to do is send in your fee, pass the open book Part 1 test, and go blow your whistle. To get to the next level, you have to be Registered for (and here's where I might get in trouble with the specifics) 3 years, as well as pass a Part 2 closed-book exam, and get 5 passing evaluations from coaches, AD's and other officials. Then, after you have been at the Recognized level for 2 years, you can go through the process again to get to the Certifed level. I believe there are also different "passing" grades between the Recognized and Certified levels. You must also attend a state-certified camp at least every 3 years that goes over rules and mechanics.

Theoretically, only Certified officials can work post-season assignments. I know of several Recognized-level officials that have worked the first round at least, but that's just due to numbers. There are also some holiday tournaments in our area that prefer to only use Certifed-level officials as well.

(Used with permission.)

Last edited by M&M Guy; Tue Oct 10, 2006 at 04:41pm.