View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 10, 2006, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
M, the basic difference is that Steinbrenner puts the bulk of his profits back into his team; the Cubs don't. I wouldn't be surprised if the Cubs actually netted more each year than the Yankees, if someone could ever nail their accountants down and get an accurate figure.
I believe the Cubs are owned by the Tribune Co., so it would be hard to find statements on just the Cubs franchise. But I would bet there's a lot of inter-connected businesses with the Yankees, just as there are with the Cubs. The Cub radio broadcasts have always been on WGN in Chicago. WGN, by the way, stands for "World's Greatest Newspaper", because it's also owned by the Tribune Co. Isn't the YES network owned somehow by the Yankees as well?

Anyway, that's part of my point - if George wasn't so emotional, maybe the Yankees would actually be more successful, both as a team and as a business. If he could find a way to be just as successful on the field, with a MN/DET/OAK - type payroll, his bottom line would be that much better.

(Used with permission.)