Thread: Quick Pitch?
View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 10, 2006, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb It is my game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeErieUmp
Actually, it's the players game and we as umpires are supposed to make calls based on the rules. I always cringe when I read "it's our game" - the teams contract with us to officiate, not the other way around. We don't contract with teams to play for us. The fields are lined for the teams. Spectators attend for the teams. We as umpires should call the game to the best of our ability, education, and training, making decision upon the rules that exist, and do our part to have the game played fairly.

Too often I see the "our game" mentality (and it's cousin the "it's my strike zone coach live with it") causing unnecessary friction. Call THEIR game, enforce the rules in THEIR rule book (speed the game up if Fed asks you to, for example) fairly and competently.

Just my two cents which I anticipate will not be well received.
We are not talking about rules here, we are talking about administration of the ballgame.

That is what separates the good umpires from the rest of them.

In order to maintain and have a crisp, clean game it all depends on the umpires and "its my game mentality" is IMO the best way to handle coaches and players.

We are not calling "their game", and its not "their rule book". I don't work for the NFHS, they don't pay me a penny, actually we pay them to join their associations.

I am paid by the schools and they under the umbrella of the NFHS. But once I step on the field, everything has to go through me. And that is the authority given to me by the rule book.

Thanks
David