View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 10, 2006, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Well, not to beat this dead horse too much further but they obviously would not LOVE to win the WS. If they would LOVE to win the WS they would invest to do so. What they do LOVE to do, apparently, is to focus on eliminating as much expense out of their business as possible by limiting payroll.

I guess you can send King George a check to take an ownership stake and then your opinion of what his business goals should & shouldn't be will have some value.
Looking at from a strictly business standpoint, if I'm going to write my check for my stake in the Yankee franchise, I'm happy with how things ended up this year. How much extra would have ended up on the 2006 bottom line if the Yankess had gone on and won the World Series? Possibly the revenue from 5 or 6 more home games? Over the course of a 81-game home season, that's not much. Will the franchise now be worth less overall because they didn't win this year? Not really. Would the franchise be worth more if they had won the WS this year? Over the long term, not really. Will the television revenue go down next year because they didn't win? Nope. Did the team get less publicity because they didn't win? Uh, nope. Will the sales of Yankee merchandise go down because they didn't advance past the first round? Most likely not.

Sucess is a part of the value of a franchise, but not the whole. All I have to do is say "Cubs". You can't say they have a valuable franchise because of all the winning. There are many other factors that go into a good business. George is passionate about his business, and that's good. But it appears as though he might be too emotionally wrapped up in it, which is bad from a business standpoint. You have to be a little detached to make the right decisions. How much of going after A-Rod had to do with emotionally sticking it to Boston, as opposed to just making the right personnel move for the team? So coming out and saying that the team was a "sad failure" so soon smacks of emotion, not sound business thinking. I haven't heard about all the bad managerial decisions Torre made, so why is his job supposdly in jeopardy?

(Used with permission.)