View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 09, 2006, 10:25am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
So following the logic here...if the "blockee" does not fall to or get driven to the side, but instead the block spins them around (example, defender hit on right and is spun to left by the contact) then it is an IBB? I ask because that happened in our game Friday on a punt return - we (of course)thought it was clearly an IBB, but the LJ said the contact was on the side...however, our defender was spun completely around because the contact came on the back of the shoulder...so I'm trying to make sure I understand the IBB thing a little better for the future...
Back of the shoulder is NOT a block in the back. A rule of thumb is that the person receiving the block in the back must fall forward, otherwise, it's not a penalty. A "blockee" getting driven to the side is probably blocked in the side.

A block in the back must be inside the shoulders, below the helmet, and above the waist.

See 2-5-2 in the NFHS rules.

It's likely that a lot of legal blocks will blindside the player receiving the block. Those are the ones we always hear about from the coaches. Unless it's between the shoulder blades, though, it's legal.

Last edited by Rich; Mon Oct 09, 2006 at 10:27am.