Thread: What happened?
View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 09, 2006, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
Personally, I would have a real hard time assessing a penalty here based on what I "thought" might have happened without any type of documentation in the scorebook, L tracker sheet, or my lineup card.

I would probably handle it much the way you did. Call both coaches over and explain what happened, you can't confirm anything, no penalty will be assesed, and please make sure that proper procedures are followed for substitutions and libero replacements. I would also have a conversation with my table crew to all stay alert for the libero replacements and make sure they are documented correctly.
I can't agree with this. You *do* have documentation, a player on the court who is not in the book as officially being in the game.

If no one has record of this player being in the game, at the very least you have an illegal libero replacement, or an illegal substitution. At the point you have discovered an improper player on the court, knowing she played a rally, you at the very least have an unnecessary delay. You do not need to have pinpointed her exact moment of entry to be able to enforce this penalty.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee