View Single Post
Old Sat Oct 07, 2006, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFarns
In my second year as an official and had this happen for the first time now. I saw a block in the back. Clear as day, right in front of me. I saw it and I'm not sure how or why I didn't drop the flag. I watched it and then took off with the runner who was sprung by it. I'm running down field and I'm thinking I saw a block in the back why the hell didn't I throw my flag. I've never froze like that and I'm not even sure what happen there.
Usually if I miss (which hopefully ain't too often) it's a situation where I saw only the tail end of a foul or I thought I saw something but can't say for sure. In those situations I write it off as learning. I'll get better and see more with experience. But this situation I saw the whole foul and I'm not sure why I didn't call it.
I still can't even figure out why I was thinking what I was thinking. Anything I come up with sounds like an excuse in my head. I know I was thinking "that's a BIB and it's the same guy..(just called one the last series that called back a 30 yard run)" Then next thing I know I'm 20-30 yards downfield on this current play asking myself why didn't I flag that.

Has anyone else done this. I'm not asking if anyone has missed a call...obviously that has happen, but has anyone froze on a call like this? How...why? Any thoughts on how to avoid this and how to deal with it now. I know trying to forget and concentrate on the next play and that's what I did during the game. I guess I'm just looking for company in my misery.
I think its a sophomore thing...this is my third year as a varsity official and that happend more than once last year. I agree that its more of a not mentally prepared to see what you saw. Also consider that as you get more experience you start to pick up on more of your keys and assignments. As such geting your brain to integrate all these things to work together takes some time and practice.

I will say that I haven't had that happen once this year...so try to keep focused and just work through it...I'm sure it will get better.