View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC2
I also asked this question on an NCAA discussion board and was told the same - blowing the whistle would have negated the ability to overturn by replay.

As an avid opponent of replay, I think this is yet another reason to do away with it. By allowing the play to continue, there is unnecessary exposure to possible injury (yes I know there is possibility for injury on *every* play) and also it forces an official to be hesitant and second guess himself about his call. I would much prefer for the play to be instantly killed...

...but then again who asked me, I'm just a lowly high school official.
I agree...if you think the player is down, you have to blow the whistle. Whats the saying, the whistle rarely kills the play? In this instance the official believed the play to be over, but held the whistle which give the opportunity for a PF. How can the official make the ball down after a delay indicating that the play was over, yet not throw a flag if you havce a viscious hit ont eh runner (who is still going)?

This is very similar to the forward progress arguement...you have a player that is hit by two or three players and driven back. As soon as his progress is stopped and he starts to be driven back you give him that furthest spot as progress, yet hold the whistle incase he make some spectacular move to get out of the tackle. It would see that by indicating the frorward progress the play sho ld be dead and the whistle blown, yet we don't usually do that.