View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy I froze and missed a call.

In my second year as an official and had this happen for the first time now. I saw a block in the back. Clear as day, right in front of me. I saw it and I'm not sure how or why I didn't drop the flag. I watched it and then took off with the runner who was sprung by it. I'm running down field and I'm thinking I saw a block in the back why the hell didn't I throw my flag. I've never froze like that and I'm not even sure what happen there.
Usually if I miss (which hopefully ain't too often) it's a situation where I saw only the tail end of a foul or I thought I saw something but can't say for sure. In those situations I write it off as learning. I'll get better and see more with experience. But this situation I saw the whole foul and I'm not sure why I didn't call it.
I still can't even figure out why I was thinking what I was thinking. Anything I come up with sounds like an excuse in my head. I know I was thinking "that's a BIB and it's the same guy..(just called one the last series that called back a 30 yard run)" Then next thing I know I'm 20-30 yards downfield on this current play asking myself why didn't I flag that.

Has anyone else done this. I'm not asking if anyone has missed a call...obviously that has happen, but has anyone froze on a call like this? How...why? Any thoughts on how to avoid this and how to deal with it now. I know trying to forget and concentrate on the next play and that's what I did during the game. I guess I'm just looking for company in my misery.

Last edited by BigFarns; Fri Oct 06, 2006 at 10:17am.