View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting conversation topic Mike.

I've had this conversation myself. I feel the buttonhook have been overanalyzed. The intent is to get inside and make a crisp turn, not a rounding motion. I've thought that for years. The sharp plant is asking for trouble if you ask me.

I had a national school instructor who demanded the sharp, hard plant and then the hard pivot. We had a "slight disagreement" on the purpose of the buttonhook. He demanded the hard cut. I explained that anyone outside the realm of elite athlete status would have a hard time making the cut he wanted. He still insisted...even pointed me out. Said I wouldn't be able to cover plays in the proper positions without the buttonhook.

He made me run the famous "lost partner" drill where in three person the first base umpire takes the runner all the way around becuase partners fall down, go out on fly balls, etc (it's happened to many of us). I did the drill, at full speed, making the right calls at all the positions in the correct position. Even got to home and in great position for a play there.

He didn't talk to me the rest of the weekend.

Point? The buttonhook is obsolete. It hasn't been taught right in years in many locations.