View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTRICE
First off...... I want to sincerely and emphatically apologize if I offended any official in any way with this question. This is NOT what I meant to do. I (thought) I was offering a situation to ponder to help us all with our officiating (and our test scores.)

Situation 7.1.1 Situation D part C....... states in its answer: "Illegal in (c) as the controlled toss of the ball to the court by A1 constitutes the start of a dribble....." Part C then goes on to explain (as we all know) how A1 cannot start another dribble.

The important part of this is that the case book says " ...the controlled toss of the ball...".

So.... this is NOT an interrupted dribble.

Finally, as we know, also, and it is stated on Page 56 of the Rule Book...Section 3 Article 2 NOTE: "The dribbler has committed a violation if he/she steps on or outside a boundary even though he/she is not touching the ball while he/she is out of bounds."

For what it is worth...... (and I admit it may not be worth much ) the Rules Committee has been notified of this information and I would bet we will see that case changed in next year's book.
Sorry John but you and your group are wrong. It is an interrupted dribble.

You emphasized " ...the controlled toss of the ball...". Every start of every dribble is a controlled toss or bat of the ball. If it was uncontrolled, it would be a fumble. And we know that a fumble is not a dribble and a dribble is not a fumble.

The dribble begins with control. Once there is no longer player control, then the dribble is interrupted.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Tue Oct 03, 2006 at 04:40pm.