Thread: Goaltend??
View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
I would still suggest that this rule of thumb is accurate for the majority of shots where goaltending might be called.
Ok, I'm not a science guy, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. And while I was there, I studied the trajectory of various balls...(oh, man, I have a feeling I better stop right now).

Anyway, what I was trying to say was I have to watch the flight of the ball, and when the defensive player touched it, to determine goaltending. If I start trying to factor in other items, such as if the defender is more than halfway between the offensive player and the basket, or if the defender's arm was halfway even if the defender wasn't, or whether I should consider the difference between a short-range vs. mid-range jumper, or...it's just too much for me to process in that short time. So, if I see the ball on it's way down when it's touched by the defense, it's a goaltending violation. If I try to include other items I might get myself in trouble if I try to explain the reasoning for my call to the coach or my assignor.

(Used with permission.)