Thread: Comfort Level
View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Comfort Level

As our career as an official progresses we all develop a comfort level with the level of games we work. But as we move up the ladder from middle school/junior high to lower level HS to HS varsity to JUCO and for a select few D1 we have our comfort level stretched as we enter that next level. The players are quicker, more athletic, coaches more vocal and lets not forget about those wonderful fans. Other than just working the games what are the tricks of the trade someone can use when working games at the next level in order to accelerate getting comfortable at the level. For me, this last weekend work a HS varsity boys game in which I never felt comfortable. Two of the top teams in the area, a little barking from the coaches which I was able to deal with, but I never felt comfortable on the court even though during the summer worked 50+ Varsity Boys games. My partner was one of our top officials who said I fine and said doing a game like this will help me become comfortable working these type of games during the season. I tried to stay focused, good mechanics and good positioning, especially being active as T. Other suggestions from the masses will be appreciated.