Thread: Mechanics
View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsig
Thanks, now I know. I was following the lead runner for a possible play at 2B but now I'll try to pick up the BR hiting the bag at 1B as well.

Unfortunately, after I expalined to the Coach that I was watching for a play at 2B, the coach went to the PU to appeal. The PU then told him it was my responsibility to look for the BR to hit 1B as well. So I didn't look too good on this one and the PU didn't help me.
Basically, your partner hung you out to dry here. I would recommend that you go back and have a serious discussion with him. Yes, the touch at first is your responsibility, but if you have a possible play at second, you may not pick up the touch at first. You may or may not choose to explain this to the coach when he asks.

Here is a better way that the situation could have been handled:

Coach: Blue, the BR missed first base.
BU: Safe! (you did not see BR miss first, you may or may not choose to explain why to the coach)
Coach (to PU): How about giving your partner some help here?
PU (should have said): Coach, it's his call and he did not ask me for help, you will need to discuss it with him.
Coach (to BU): Would you check with your partner to see if he saw it.
BU: Sure, coach!
PU and BU: confer, confer, confer......
BU: Stays with or changes the call based on the conference with PU.

Doing it this way shows the coach and team that you are working with your partner to officiate the game. What your PU did to you was allow the coach to split the two of you up. Based on what your partner told the coach, the coach now sees you as incompetent and not knowing how to do your job. He will most likely be on you for any close call that goes against him the rest of the game.